Sunday, January 10, 2010

Choices



Lately I've been thinking about the relationship between food and money.  After my review of 8 oz Burger Bar, a friend emailed me to point out that not everyone can afford to buy responsible meat or frequent pricey restaurants that offer responsible options. At first I felt a kind of yuppie guilt, recalling days past when (if I'm honest with myself) I was a lot more thoughtful about issues of financial privilege and (because I had very little money) a lot more critical of any ideals--including environmentalism generally--that could only really be pursued by the wealthy. Have I lost touch with reality?

I've decided that I haven't.  Here's what I think now: regardless of how much money you have, eating consciously takes significant sacrifice. Most of the time it doesn't mean paying more for your food...it means eating different food.  It's not as if I now eat out exclusively at expensive restaurants.  I mostly eat at the same places I always did, except now I choose something vegetarian.  From an animal ethics perspective, eating consciously means ordering a bean burrito at Taco Bell instead of a chicken one, not giving up burritos altogether.

My grocery bills have dropped significantly since I began eating this way, and most of my restaurant bills are lower too. Eating a plant-based diet is less expensive--much less expensive--than a meat-based one.  And if you're eating 1/2 as much meat, you can afford to pay twice as much per pound for the meat you do consume.

Sure, not everyone can pay $10+ for a responsible hamburger every time they have the urge.  But neither can I.  Forbearance is a matter of sacrifice, not affordability; it's the willingness to go without.  Deciding not to order hamburgers at McDonald's takes discipline, eating less meat takes discipline--discipline a lot of people are not willing to exercise.  But having money doesn't make discipline easier.

I acknowledge that the sacrifices involved in trying to eat in a more thoughtful, responsible way will sometimes look different for people of different budgets.  Some people can afford to buy all the meat they want at Whole Foods and eat out only in pricey restaurants.  Some people can treat themselves to an expensive meal every time they feel like it.  (For the record, I am not one of those people.)  But for most people (myself included), eating and shopping responsibly takes thought and planning and a willingness to eat less meat.  Coming soon is my review of a restaurant that serves only conscious meat; that restaurant is not cheap, and I realize that not everyone can spontaneously decide to eat there.  But anyone can choose to pay more for meat and eat less of it, and anyone can choose to spend more money eating out if they eat out less.

Lots of people with money to burn eat lots of "irresponsible" food. Having money isn't a silver bullet.  Every person who thinks about these issues--regardless of income--has choices to make and priorities to weigh.  And--regardless of income--everyone will land somewhere different on the spectrum of conscious eating.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could get people to give themselves an "conscious eater" or "responsible eater" score from 1-10. The score gets higher the more green, more vegan, less money spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should also focus on eating local food. It somewhat solves the money problem because its significantly cheaper to eat local ( shipping costs are lower). Lower shipping costs mean that its better for the environment. The produce is also better because its in season. Its probably a lot easier to do out in California than on the east coast. Take advantage! Its not just about eating more veggies, its about eating the right veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one the best: "Having money doesn't make discipline easier." That is damn right. The small choices add up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also only eat responsibly raised meats, and I've found lots of cheap and easy food finds!

    My biggest problem was hanging out with friends and someone wants to grab fast food. Until I discovered Taco Bell/Taco Johns will make vegetarian tacos/burritos by subbing beans for meat. Chips and salsa as a side or snack is also great.

    Arby's will sub cheese for bacon on a BLT -- it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear CC,

    Where are you now? How is your journey progressing? I've recently come to the same conclusion as you. I recognize so well your shame of choosing to ignore the suffering and inhumanities caused by factory farming. But I also love meat-the taste, the smell, the traditional settings it fits so well into. I live in NYC and probably have access to ethical meat. I don't make much money though and that has always been an easy excuse. Realistically, though, meat is one of the most expensive things to buy. Cutting back can only help my budget. I'm falling back on some of my faves from my first foray into veggiedom(meatless chilli, eggplant lasagna, bean burritos, pesto pasta, portobello burgers, stir-fried setian) but I want to learn how to source ethical meat. I feel like I'm on the same page with everything you're saying and I think you have a great "blog voice"-I enjoy the way you write. It's honest, truthful to yourself and has a good sense of humor. But where did you go? It's been almost 3 years since the last post? Did you fall off the wagon? Give up on the blog? Come back! I want to do this with you!!!
    ~Gigi

    ReplyDelete