Tuesday, December 29, 2009

So I joined a CSA


Truth be told, I've been a near-vegetarian of late.  Deciding not to eat certain meat inevitably led to eating less meat, and eating less meat actually seems to agree with me.

But.  I haven't yet given up meat entirely, and I certainly haven't adopted the irrational hope that everyone else on the planet will become a vegetarian.  And so, even as a "limited" meat-eater, I care deeply about the issue of (to coin a phrase) conscious carnivorism.

To that end, I decided this week to join a CSA. For those of you (like me) previously unfamiliar with the concept, this means Community Supported Agriculture--a pledge of financial support to a community farm. In short, I pay $50 for a one-year membership and in return I get: 1) substantial discounts on the farm's products; 2) access to products the farm doesn't typically sell at markets; and 3) to pat myself on the back for helping a local farm manage its financial realities and risks.

CSAs take different forms--some deliver produce to your home each week, others (like the one I joined) bring your "share"--be it meat or produce--to a local farmers' market every week. The options depend on where you live and which farm(s) you choose to support. What is the same across the country is that by joining, you are making a commitment to yourself to eat fresher, healthier, more responsible food, and a commitment to your community to support sustainable farming practices (and the people who practice them).

Contrary to popular belief, buying food from local farms does not have to be pricier than buying from the grocery store. Sure, some foods--including meat products--are cheaper in the store. But many foods are substantially cheaper if you buy them directly from a local farm--say, through a CSA or at a farmers' market. The last time I went to a farmers' market I walked out with two large bags full of fresh produce--enough for two weeks--for less than $40. And I just placed my order for $5.50/lb chicken breasts, which I will pick up at the farmers' market on Sunday.

So that's my case to all you meat-eaters.  And now it's (finally) time for me to climb up on my soapbox and preach to that other audience, the committed vegetarians. You, too, should consider joining a CSA. Sustainable farming, humane farming, anti-agribusiness farming is important whether the farm is raising animals or growing corn.  For each of us it is, simply, an easy way to do something in line with our ideals.

No comments:

Post a Comment